- All lock changes include the removal and replacement of the lock which includes the deadbolt, should there be one present.
- If the servicer utilizes a lockbox, Fannie Mae will reimburse the servicer within the Padlock/Hasp and Padlock Allowable expense line without prior approval. Lockbox should be placed on the secondary door so as to not interfere with any realtor lockbox.
- Place any previous locksets and deadbolts in a kitchen drawer. Do not discard.
- When the property is a condo and cannot be rekeyed or have the lock changes, the servicer must contact the condo association and obtain a copy of the key for access.
- Garage doors must be secured as a part of the initial secure, existing locks to remain when possible, or by adding a padlock.
- Outbuildings must be secured with existing locks when possible or by adding a padlock.
- Slider locks and window locks must be repaired/replaced when existing locks are inoperable or are not present on the main level and where accessible.
For additional information please see: Property Preservation Matrix and Reference Guide, Section 5, Initial Securing and Initial Services.